It is taking longer than usual to process applications because of coronavirus (COVID-19). Do not apply unless you’re travelling before September 2020 or you need a passport urgently for compassionate reasons.
It costs ￡75.50 to renew or replace your passport if you apply online or ￡85 if you fill out a paper form.
You must be aged 16 or over (or turning 16 in the next 3 weeks) if you want an adult passport. There’s a different process to get a passport for a child.
If you’re in the UK you can:
- renew your passport if it’s expired or will expire soon (including if you currently have a child passport)
- replace your passport if it’s been lost, stolen or damaged
- change the details on your passport
There are different ways to renew or replace your passport if you’re outside the UK.
Do not book travel until you have a valid passport - doing so is at your own risk. Your new passport will not have the same number as your old one.
Tracking your passport application
You can track your passport application immediately if you apply online or after 3 weeks if you apply by post.
Getting your new passport
Your new passport will be sent to you by courier or Royal Mail. They’ll either:
- post it through your letterbox
- hand it to you if you’re home
- leave a card or post you a letter saying how you can get it (it will not say the package is your passport)